The one major distinguishing factor between the new Realme 9 5G and the Realme 8 5G that came out over a year ago is the chipset – a MediaTek Dimensity 810 compared to a Dimensity 700. A weird and kind of bold choice, considering that this makes the older Realme 8s 5G technically better. It is a very similar device to those two as well, both physically and in terms of specs, but it does bump up the main camera to a 64MP unit, has 33W fast charging and a better chipset on board.
Realme 9 5G (India) specs at a glance:
- Body: 162.6×74.8×8.5mm, 188g; Glass front, plastic back.
- Display: 6.50″ IPS LCD, 90Hz, 480 nits (typ), 600 nits (HBM), 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 405ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6833P Dimensity 810 (6 nm): Octa-core (2×2.4 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM; UFS 2.1; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 11, Realme UI 2.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/2″, 0.8µm, PDAF; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f/2.1, 26mm (wide), 1/3.09″, 1.0µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 18W.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); 3.5mm jack.
This essentially makes the new Realme 9 5G a “middle-ground” offer between the Realme 8 5G and the Realme 8s 5G. Not exactly a major upgrade like its higher model number might suggest. Still, that’s all reflected in its price as well. It sits at a competitive INR 15,000 (EUR 183/$192). That could very well be enough to make it a popular budget choice like its siblings. Plus, the Dimensity 810 is a tough chipset to fit into this sort of a tight budget, proving once again that Realme is aggressively pursuing a competitive edge through the best possible value proposition.
Before we dive deeper into what the Realme 9 5G offers, let’s look at its retail box. Even though the Realme 9 5G has what is essentially the standard accessory pack for a current Realme device, it would technically be considered a rich retail package by modern standards. It ships in a sturdy bright-yellow box, which is quite eye-catching and gets the job done when it comes to protecting its contents.